In 1991 in a 0.5ha growing area from the hybrid of the two lines (PX-32 = B-432 x 155 ) we found about 10% haploid plants--low growing, weak and usually female and male sterile and 6% self pollinated or dihaploid--weaker than those of B-432 line. With great difficulties we managed to obtain 10 haploid plants with 3-8 seeds each, or 38 seeds total and a comparatively easier greater number of normally seeded ears than the supposed dihaploids. On one of the ears there were 256 seeds, of which 63 were haploid seeds, which equals 20.7%.
In 1992 nearly all the haploid seeds and normal seeds from the ear with a high percentage of haploid seeds were sown in separate numbers. We obtained very few plants because of the drought, and almost no seeds from the haploid progenies. From the normal seeds of the ear with 20.7% haploids we grew 123 plants, which were entirely uniform. Thirty self pollinated ears with 7941 seeds were obtained from them, where 1102 or 13.88% were haploid. The study of the new genotype continues, concerning its similarity with B-432 line and the haploid type.
to the MNL 67 On-Line Index
Return to the Maize Newsletter Index
Return to the Maize Genome Database Page